"You don't have enough faith," Jesus told them. "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible." Matthew 17:20
This is my favorite parable, and it grows in meaning as I continue on the journey. Right now, OEP is endorsing the Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival even more actively. We are working with the upcoming 40 days of nonviolent direct moral action. In these 40 days we look at the systemic issues that plague our nation right now. These issues include poverty, racism, war, ecological devastation and everything in between. This is when we use our faith as a mustard seed.
The Poor People’s Campaign works to continue the work of Martin Luther King Jr. who first started the initiative. It was built for the powerless to voice their concerns and work for advancement. In the coming weeks, the PPC will have six themed weeks:
- Week One (May 13-19) - Somebody’s Hurting Our People: Child Poverty, Women, and People with Disabilities
- Week Two (May 20-26) – Linking Systemic Racism and Poverty: Voting Rights and Immigration
- Week Three (May 27-June 2) - The War Economy, Veterans, Education and Our National Priorities
- Week Four (June 3-9) - Ecological Devastation and Health
- Week Five (June 10-16) – Everybody’s Got the Right to Live: Jobs, Income and Housing
- Week Six (June 17-22) – A New and Unsettling Force
- June 23rd – Mass rally in Washington, D.C. and Global Day of Solidarity
OEP will be providing resources and information throughout these week and would love to hear from those who are involved or want to be involved. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to share about how you are participating in this campaign. We encourage that you faith grow like a mustard seed into this movement so that it overpowers the immorality of the present day. There are rallies and nonviolent direct actions every Monday in state capitals across the country. Find an event near you at https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org/events/. When you have faith even the size of a mustard seed, nothing is impossible. Join us.
Racial Justice Intern