Read Aloud Videos: Holidays
A book about Italian Christmas traditions read in Italian and translated to English
- What is your favorite Christmas tradition.
It is Christmas Eve and Maria is making tamales with her mother. Maria decides to put her mother’s ring on while she is making the tamales. She ends up losing the ring and asks her cousins to help her eat all of the tamales in order to find the ring.
- What lesson did Maria learn in this story?
For additional resources visit this worksheet.
This book talks about Christmas and how various countries celebrate it.
- What are some of your family’s Christmas traditions?
For additional resources, and activities visit this worksheet.
Lulu's Dad tells her that she is going to change her name to Rachel. Lulu is worried that Santa will not find out about her name change in time to fix the tags on Rachel's presents. Lulu and her friend go on an adventure to find Santa to let him know about her Dad's new name.
- Do you ever give presents to your friends and family?
- Do you ever make them presents?
- How do you feel when they open the presents you got them?
The Polar Express is about a boy who gets invited to go on a train to the North Pole. There, he meets Santa Claus and receives a gift that he cherishes for the rest of his life.
- Why do you think the boy was chosen to receive the first gift of Christmas?
For more activities related to this book, visit the worksheet here.
This book is about a girl and her family visiting her grandmother at the Mexican border. She has to figure out how to give her grandmother her Christmas presents because they do not fit through the fence.
- Have you ever been away from someone for Christmas?
For more activities related to this book visit this sheet.
This book captures what goes on during a pride parade. In the back of the book, a note to parents and caregivers with information on how to talk to children about sexual orientation and gender identity is provided.
- Why is Pride Month important to you?
This book is about a group of children experiencing election day.
- What are some qualities that you look for in candidates?
For additional activities related to Catherine Stier's book, visit our worksheet.
One day, a fearless little old lady goes on a walk in the woods. While on her walk, the little old lady runs into several articles of clothing and a pumpkin head that scare her. She runs home, but then she hears something knocking at her door. What will the little old lady do to overcome her fears?
- Can you think of a time you were scared?
- What did you do?
- Was facing your fear as hard as you thought it was going to be?
Spookley is a square pumpkin that is outcasted by the other pumpkins in the patch, until one day he show how being different can help save the day.
- What is something that makes you unique?
- How might you use this uniqueness to help others?