Peace Day 2019: Making the Case for Peace
On Earth Peace invites churches, justice-seekers, and peacebuilders to pray for peace and justice together this International Peace Day - September 21, 2019.
Our theme for 2019 is "The Case for Peace." We invite you to use Peace Day as a time to understand the case for peace from the perspective of the Christian faith. Peace is essential for those committed to following the Prince of Peace - but where does that commitment come from? Knowing how peace is an essential part of our faith equips us to live peaceful lives and to build peace in our communities. We can help ourselves and others see and share why peace matters in our world and for our faith. What does peace look like for our friends, families, and community members? What does peace mean in situations of injustice or marginalization? How can we deepen our spiritual life to experience inner peace at the core?
Romans 12:18 states, “If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” As followers of Christ, we are called to live peaceably with all. Not just those who look, think, or act like us. How can we practice this and encourage others to live peaceably with all?
This year, join us as we discover together the case for peace, its foundations in the Christian faith, and how we can bring more of God’s peace here on earth. What can we do to ensure that all humanity knows they are made in God’s image, are loved, and are valued for who they are? What will you pray for? How can you get your community focused on an important issue? How can you serve and work towards peace with justice for all? How can you use the inspiration of Peace Day to take one small action that could make all the difference in a broken relationship?
Through the summer, we will offer resources and connections to other churches, organizations, and actions that you can participate in on September 21. We invite you to try something new this year- maybe planning a public peace prayer event, or doing something to cultivate peace in your personal life. We will offer you ideas and inspiration, including creative options for children’s involvement. There are many ways that anyone can participate in Peace Day. Join us!
Learn more about Peace Day and what you can do to join in:
- Connect with us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OEP.PeaceDay/
- Questions? Send us a message: email@example.com
Ways to get involved:
- Hold a prayer service or gathering for peace with your church or community, and post pictures or stories on social media using #peaceday2019 and #thecaseforpeace
- Find a local Peace Day event to join at Campaign Nonviolence
- Learn about and host a People's Supper with your community
- Take the Peace Day challenge for kids or adults
- Create welcome kits for migrant families. More information can be found at https://www.borderperspective.org/welcomekit or https://mcc.org/get-involved/kits/relief.
- If you're in the Portland area, consider attending this Peace Day event.
- Join us on September 11th at 7 PM EST for a webinar discussing the biblical basis for peace. Dan Ulrich, the Wieand Professor of New Testament Studies from Bethany Seminary will lead us in a bible study discussing how the Sermon on the Mount has influenced peacemakers. There will be time for discussion as well as important information about Peace Day this year. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the ZOOM link or more information.
- Sign up here!
You can express interest in Peace Day 2019 using the RSVP form below. We'll get in touch with you to find out more about your interest, and we will keep you updated about events and resources.
Questions? Please comment below, write to us at PeaceDay@OnEarthPeace.org or join the conversation in the Facebook group mentioned above!