As the semi-weekly internship highlights turn towards highlighting our OEP organizers, we thought this would be a great time to highlight what some of the OEP intern’s value most!
Emma, OEP’s LGBTQ+ Justice Organizer Intern:
- Favorite Book: any Calvin & Hobbes anthology, to be honest! I tried to think of an actual book, but there's not one that I've returned to repeatedly like I have with Calvin & Hobbes, and I always gain something new from it, whether it be a laugh or some philosophical advice.
- Favorite Movie/TV show: Parks & Rec!
- What Inspires Emma: I have seen myself, as well as my friends and family, grow so much over the years. I believe everyone is capable of growing to better love themselves and others. We're all in this together!
Tabby, OEP’s Social Media Intern:
- Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. My favorite quote is actually something I had tattooed on myself; “behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.”
- Favorite Movie/TV show: I couldn’t decide! It is either Remember the Titans, Legally Blonde or Beetlejuice.
- What Inspires Tabby: Remember the Titans inspires me. People that know the majority are against them but they continue to speak their values. Courage also inspires me.
Tiffany, OEP’s Communications Fellow:
- Favorite Book: I love most books by J.R.R Tolkien! I believe they are able to present life lessons in colorful ways. One of my favorite quotes from him is written in The Hobbit; “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” I love it so much it’s a sticker on my water bottle!
- What Inspires Tiffany: In general, I would say someone who inspires me is my father. Hands down, he is my favorite person. He is the reason why I was able to become a first generation college student. He is also the person who taught me that while you need to work hard for yourself, you also need to take time to help others.
Laura, OEP’s Youth and Young Adult Intern:
- Favorite Book: Ender’s Game! It talks about nonviolence and empathy in a futuristic setting.
- Favorite Movie/TV Show: My favorite movie that I've seen lately is "The Last Black Man in San Francisco," which is inspired by a true story experienced by the leading actor.
- What Inspires Laura: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez inspires me. It is amazing to know that there are people trying to do good things in government.
Anna, OEP’s Environmental Justice and Kingian Nonviolence Organizer Intern:
- Favorite Book: Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario. It's “the story of a boy’s dangerous odyssey to reunite with his mother.”
- Favorite Movie/TV Show: Gladiator
- What Inspires Anna: My family really inspires me!