“7 PROMPTS” FACILITATOR TRAINING - Standing with People of Color
REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE FOR THIS WORKSHOP 24 HOURS BEFORE THE WORKSHOP - at 7:30 pm EASTERN on January 10.
This training will take place twice in January 2024:
- Thursday, January 11, 2024 – 7:30-9:30 pm Eastern / 4:30-6:30 pm Pacific
- Saturday, January 27,2024 – 1:00-3:00 pm Eastern / 10:00 am-Noon Pacific
RSVP below for the Thursday, January 11 training.
RSVP using this link for the Saturday, January 27 training.
The Church of the Brethren Standing With People of Color Study/Action Committee is asking the entire Church of the Brethren to engage in crucial Christian conversations in various settings in the next year, using 7 discussion prompts around the theme of standing with people of color and working for justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI).
We hope the church will share together around the family table, in Sunday School or other congregational settings, in districts, and in other Brethren agencies and venues.
Our team developed the prompts along with the “BELOVED” model of conversations, to help the church engage in urgent and heartfelt conversation in a way that builds up our Beloved Community.
Designed to take place in small groups, each of these prompts moves the conversations from the participants' own history onward to discussions of justice and racism. The design of these prompts invites participants to look within themselves and reflect on their own experiences and perspectives. It is our prayer that these conversations, across the denomination, can help foster broad engagement and create a path toward faithful and passionate Brethren involvement in racism and racial justice in our times.
The Standing with People of Color Committee is planning two initial training sessions to help prepare individuals to be able to facilitate groups in these conversations in their own congregation, district, family, or other setting. Present for these sessions will be people who have led these discussions in other settings.
What to expect:
- Introduce the 7 prompts (and experience the first two prompts).
- Introduce the BELOVED conversation model.
- Explore ways to use these prompts in different settings.
- Hot tips for facilitators.
Crucial Christian Conversations: Standing with People of Color
A central part of our invitation to the church is to participate in conversations using seven discussion prompts. We are asking the entire Church of the Brethren to engage in conversations in various settings in the next year, using the questions below. We hope the church will share together around the family table, in Sunday School or other congregational settings, in districts, and in other Brethren agencies and venues.
Please print and use the linked handout which includes the 7 prompts as well as BELOVED conversation guidelines here.
- Share your family’s origin story. Go back as many generations as you know and start there. Briefly share some of your family history/tree up to your current family.
- Share a compelling memory of when you became aware of cultural, racial, or color differences.
- Share the message Jesus has for you or us about justice and racism. What does Jesus want you to hear or see? What does Jesus call you or us to do next?
- If you listen to Jesus’ call, what spiritual healing or personal growth might you have to do?
- If you are a white/dominant culture Brethren, how can you support/stand with people of color (POC)? If you are a POC, what does it mean for you to stand with other people of color?
- Imagine if things were different and there were more racial justice. What do you envision?
- What are you willing to sacrifice to achieve that goal?
Contact us at [email protected] with any questions.
REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE FOR THIS WORKSHOP 24 HOURS BEFORE THE WORKSHOP -- at 7:30 pm EASTERN on January 10.